Galmudug State of the Somali Repubic Ministry of Fisheries, Marine Resources and Ports Office of the Minister Mogadishu, August 4, 2012 PRESS RELEASE After seeing how the situation in the Galmudug State of Somalia has deteriorated at an alarming pace, after acknowledging the announcement of parallel and rival administrations in Galmudug, with the establishment of two Parliaments and the selection of two Presidents, after taking note that the rulings of the Supreme Court are ignored and the law of the land is disregarded, I want to inform the people of Galmudug in particular and the people of Somalia in general, the African Union (AU), the European Union (EU), the League of Arab States (LAS), the IGAD member countries, the Secretary General of the United Nations, The Government of the United States of America (USA), the Government of the United Kingdom, the Government of France, the Government of Korea, the Government of Spain, the Government of Italy, the Government of China, the Government of Russia, the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the Government of Ethiopia, the Government of Uganda, the Government of Burundi, Government of Kenya, the Government of Djibouti and all the friends of Galmudug and Somalia, that:
1) The Supreme Court of the Galmudug State (SCGS) issued a verdict against the Electoral Commission (EC) that facilitated Gen. Abdi Qaybdid claims of victory;
2) The EC claimed by Gen. Abdi Qaybdid was illegally named by the Vice-President of Galmudug;
3) The Supreme Court ordered the dissolution of the EC because it had no legal basis and it was not named and established by a decree of the President of Galmudug, who alone has this prerogative;
4) In conformity with the law, a new Electoral Commission was named and established by a decree of the President of Galmudug. The legally established EC formed the new Parliament that, on July 30,2012, elected Mohamed Elmi “Timo Kala-Jeex”, as the new President of the Galmudug State;
5) President Alin fully endorses the legal election of the new President of Galmudug and powers will be transferred on September 1st, 2012.
6) Clan representation and power sharing have been disregarded by both sides unfortunately taking Galmudug back to its founding days;
7) The prevailing situation of tension can only be solved through dialogue and not by the use of force, money or intimidation.
Having considered all of the above points and starting from today, August 4, 2012, I formally declare to have resigned from all official functions from the Galmudug State of Somalia. Whatever are the justifications, it is unacceptable that a single clan holds all the major positions of the Galmudug State, like the Presidency, the Vice-Presidency, the Speaker of Parliament and the Head of the Judiciary. All these positions must be shared equally. The fact that the non-founding clans lack representation at the Parliament (Golaha Wakiillada) and at the Traditional Elders Body (Golaha Dhaqanka) it is simply a grave set-back for the Galmudug State and a very clear rejection of the policies of sharing and expansion throughout the Central Regions of Somalia, that was promoted by the previous Administration.
I avail myself of this opportunity to thank the people of Galmudug for showing me their appreciation, and President Alin for trusting me with responsibilities of my ministry and for being a friend and brother.
Finally, I hope that reason and compromise will be the rule and that the people of Galmudug will be able to preserve what they have painstakingly achieved so far. I wish Galmudug stability, progress and contentment.
Minister, Hassan M. Said Samantar, “Gacaliye”
Hassan M. Said Samantar.